RU News |
PAST Special Features 2015 – Open Call
Converting RU into a low budget film studio for NYC based artists.
Special Features 2015 is a film production program designed to support the creation of short films and videos by New York City based artists. Selected applicants will have the opportunity to use RU’s Carroll Gardens unique church space setting as the backdrop to produce a new film or video with the support of RU’s production resources. Between Feb and May 2015, 4 selected artists will participate in RU's residency program for 1 month each. A public screening showcasing their work will take place at RU at the end of June 2015.
The title, “Special Features”, refers to additional material often featured on DVD film releases. This material highlights aspects essential to the production of film (e.g. deleted scenes, interviews, and production reels). RU's tailored residency approach to the creative process is akin to the role of film production whereby filmmakers spend a large portion of time and energy in the planning and execution of their projects, ensuring that logistics run smoothly from start to finish. It requires flexibility, the ability to adapt and overcome challenges. The commonalities found in both a RU residency and film-making highlight this process.
RU launched the first edition of Special Features in 2010 by converting an art gallery in Lower East Side into a low cost film studio and inviting 12 local artists to create a compelling piece over the course of one day each. You can view the resulting works and process here. The winter of 2014 saw a return of the program, Special Features 2014, with 4 artists creating new works in RU's space.
Participating in Special Features provides:
- a $500 Artist/Production Stipend
- Organizational and critical meetings with RU’s curatorial and technical staff to determine a production plan for the duration of the residency.
- On hand assistance by RU's staff during the production and post-production phase of the project.
- Access to material resources based on project needs ( production equipment, needed assitance, props, Material for the Arts, etc..)
- For 1 month each, from February through May 2015, 4 selected artists will be part of RU's international residency program and benefit from ongoing assistance.
- A final screening of your work will be held at RU in June, 2015.
- Works will be featured on RU's website, alongside works from previous Special Features projects.
- Must be a New York City resident.
- Artists working in all mediums can submit a film/video based project proposal.
- Final work must be no longer than 10 mins.
Deadline: Friday December 19th, 2014 (Selection results in the first week of Jan 2015 )
This program is supported by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council and the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
In order to apply, please fill out the application below: