Tokachi Artist in Residence JAPAN
Residency Opportunities in Tokachi:
Toyokoro town and Hiroo Town
(Application dead line: 1st of May 2015, at 00:00 am (JST)
T-AIR (Tokachi Artist-in-Residence) is offering a 45-days-residency-opportunity to an international artist in Tokachi district, east Hokkaido, Japan:
- a successful artist to stay in Toyokoro town for 35 days (east Tokachi) & Hiroo town for10 days(south Tokachi) to produce artwork(s) and workshops to engage the site and local audiences in Tokachi.
The district of Tokachi is located in east part of Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido, which has the second largest area as an island after Honshu. Since Tokachi has flourishing industries in agriculture, forestry and fishing, it is often considered as one of the main food production bases in the country. Tokachi’s success was made possible by both the local pioneers, who cultivated the land, as well as its rich natural surroundings.
A successful artist will stay in the town of Toyokoro & town of Hiroo for the duration of your residency program. The artist will have an opportunity to utilize Tokachi’s rich resources in their art production and workshops during the residency simultaneously explore and share your artistic perspectives with local audiences in Tokachi district. Your accommodation during your program and artwork installation location will be allocated as it appeared in the images to right
You can download the application form from the link, Please read How to apply section stated below.
we encourage you to read the application guideline carefully and make sure you are eligible to be considered for the initial selection process and be aware of all the rules of coming to Japan before you start your application.
We also request the successful artist to be flexible with our entire program period.
[About Tokachi Artist-in-Residence (T-AIR)]
T-AIR will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to learn about the local districts of Tokachi, Hokkaido, communicate and engage with the local community. This opportunity is open to artists who practice in any form of visual art but they must meet the requirements stated below.
The aim of this residency is to give artists opportunity to create artworks and foster emerging local talents, as well as to support engaging artists to local talents, all of which, in effect, would encourage local regeneration activities in the Tokachi district.
Our activities and objectives are:
1. To foster emerging artists and to nurture local talents with unique ideas by engaging them with the artists
2. To support art activities utilizing the local industries and resources such as food and landscape as well as engaging the locals with artists
3. Through the above activities (2) in and out of Tokachi District, to further friendly international relations and promote the activities
45 days (from 11th of May – 25th of June 2015, this includes two appointed towns)
[Areas of Practice]
[Eligibility – who can apply?]
- be nationals of a country which are NOT required to obtain visa to enter Japan (see Travel Arrangement section below)
- be able to arrive to Japan on 11th of May and leave Japan on 25 of June
- neither hold Japanese nationality nor reside in Japan
- be able to exercise a degree of autonomy and self-reliance
- be responsible to produce art work(s) within the program and self-motivated to organize three workshops in each town
- be enthusiastic to enrich artistic experience in Tokachi
- have desire and ability to communicate and actively interact with local residents in English or in Japanese
- obtain travel insurance, which covers the entire residency period including
the return journey
Candidates with a valid international driver's license are desirable as the visiting artist will have an access to a car.
[Conditions and Requirements]
Residency in Toyokoro
This opportunity is open to visual artists who are able to incorporate local resources of Toyokoro as your majour medium, and the requirements are:
1. to produce one or more art works to be installed around Dreans Musium, Elm-Kan and donate the work at the end of the residency
2. to initiate three workshops for preschool children, elementary school students ( our preferred target age group is 4-12) .
3. to hold an open studio to make opportunity to interact with local audiences.
For Residency in Hiroo
1.to initiate three workshops for preschool children and elementary school students ( our preferred target age group is 4-12) .
*We do not request you to produce your artwork in HIroo unless otherwised discussed prior.
All fees will only be reimbursed in Japanese yen including travel fees and material fees in exchange with receipts (including boarding passes for flight fees). It is also strongly advised that the successful candidate should bring enough money to cover the initial expenses that could potentially occur.
Our support includes:
· International Flight Fees to Sapporo Chitose Airport (up to 150,000 yen)
Return flight ticket fees can only be reimbursed in exchange with the receipts and boarding tickets. Any receipt without the date of purchase, the amount of payment, or the name of the passenger will not be accepted.
One of our staff will pick you up at the airport and drive to the site.(*to be discussed with successful artist)
· Material Fees (up to 100,000 yen)
Toyokoro: for the production of work
· Workshop Fees (up to 80,000 yen)
Toyokoro: up to 30,000 yen
Hiroo:up to 50,000yen
These can be also used as everyday expenses. Some materials and resources can be separately supplied for the workshop)
· Accommodation with internet
Toyokoro: Staffed accommodation supplied by the local area and people
Hiroo: Staffed accommodation (Japanese Ryokan) supplied by the local area and people(TBC)
· Some on-site interpreters for an artist
to help communicate with others in English and Japanese and to introduce the artist to the local area and people
· Studio (internet access available indoors, outdoors only on mobile)
Toyokoro: Facility owned by the local area and people
· Mobile phone rental (excluding call credits)
· Access to a car for those with international license ( petrol should be covered by the artist)
[Travel Arrangements, Visa and Insurance]
It is your (successful artist) responsibility to arrange your return flights to Sapporo Chitose Airport as well as your insurance in advance. Those who require visa or those without travel insurance are not eligible for this opportunity. To find out whether your country have visa exemption arrangements with Japan, go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.
[How to Apply]
Download the application form from the link below, and
send complete application and necessary materials through online storage services such as yousendit.com or wetransfer.com.
Please send an email with the link(s) to your downloadable application data to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Do not attach any data in your email but include the links to the server where your data is stored.
We will not review your application until we receive an e-mail from you
- Application form (PDF):
- Application form (Word):
Your application should include:
1. Completed Application Form (PDF or Word, A4)
2. Résumé/CV (PDF or Word format, No more than A4 page) including a list of exhibitions and educational background
3. Project Portfolio/Documentation (PDF, A4, no more than 6 pages)
A PDF portfolio/documentation including 5 major works or projects that you have produced or initiated with some descriptions and images. You may include valid links to project websites and videos documenting the projects.
4. Portrait Picture (Jpeg, 500pix min)
Photograph of yourself above shoulder
Applicant should submit the materials in English. Any late applications or incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that all the application information will be shared in the selection committees and may be used for future publicity and documentation in various forms of media during the program.
Submission Dead line: 1 May 2015 at 12am (JST)
*Please read the application guidance and make sure you are elgible for this opportunity before you start your application.
The selected artist is planned to be announced on 1st May 2015 at the following:
*If there will be any change to the announcement date, we will announce it beforehand on the same blog page.
Tokachi Artist-in-Residence (T-AIR)
Tokachi Artist in Residence JAPAN