A River on Shoulders: Kanwar Pilgrimage. (01 – 28 July 2018)
Deadline: 15 Apr, 2018
Disciplines: Activism, Administration, All Disciplines, Animation, Architecture, Art Education, Ceramics, Choreography, Collaboration, Community, Composition, Concept & Theory, Crafts & Trades, Critical studies, Curatorial, Dance, Design, Digital, Drawing, Engineering, Experimental, Film & Video, Fine art, Gastronomy, Glass, Installation, Journalism, Land Art, Light and Projection, Literature, Media Arts, Moving Image, Music & Sound, Other, Painting, Pedagogy, Performance, Philosophy, Photography, Poetry, Printmaking, Research, Science, Sculpture, Social Practice, Sound, Technology, Textile, Theater, Urbanism, Visual Arts, Writing.
Location: Haridwar, Uttarakhand, India
Deadline: 15 Apr, 2018
Duration: 28 days, more or less possible
Eligibility: Artists interested in spiritual / experimental / performance dimensions of art and seeking newer inspirations.
Support: Grants of USD 500 to each selected artists to cover little more than one-third of the residency fee. Boarding, lodging, shared-studio etc part of the participation.
Costs: USD 1450 for 28 days
A River on Shoulders: Kanwar Pilgrimage
01 – 28 July 2018 (28 days)
Haridwar, Banks of Ganges, Foothills of Himalayas
“He made great dreams a mould for coming things
And cast his deeds like bronze to front the years.
His walk through Time outstripped the human stride.
Lonely his days and splendid like the sun’s”.
10 million+ participate in this annual pilgrimage that happens only in Haridwar India. Devotees from across central and northern India begin their journeys the day after sighting of the full moon (27 July) of Saawan, the 5th month of the Indian calendar. Arriving at the banks of holy Ganga (Ganges) river in Haridwar, they pray, make wishes, and atone. They carry Ganges water in pots balanced at the two opposite ends of a bamboo stick (called Kanwar in Hindi). They walk back to their homes before the next full moon (26 Aug). The holy water is offered at a local Shiva temple.
A whole new local art landscape has emerged – devotional music, dyeing and printing on cotton fabrics, and designing of a variety of water containers. AZIMVTH ashram is situated about 100 metres from Ganges . Walking just outside, they head to their Ganges which is 4 km away.
IMPORTANT DATES - July
1, 4, 14 Canada Day, US Independence Day, (France) Bastille Day
16 Sun enters Cancer Zodiac, 6 month southward journey
17 World Emoji Day
27 Kanwar Pilgrimage starts
28 The Guru Student Traditions
30 UN Int’l Friendship Day
- Sanskrit / Hindi
- Visual art
- Performance art
- New media
- Art of Life
The tariff is inclusive of various offerings. These are grouped under 5 heads as detailed below.
A. Standard inclusions
- En-suite room
- Shared studio
- Possibilities to work at other cluster-locations
- 3 meals, 2 herbal tea + snacks
- Sachet tea/coffee 24hrs
- Daily small basket of fresh flowers
- Towels, bedding
The following facilities are be made available, if planned at least 30 days prior to the commencement of a residency.
- Local collaborations
- Print media coverage
- Local music instruments (Conch, damaru, manjira, etc.)
- Visiting Ganges ghats, temples, ashrams
- Pilgrim interactions
- Internet access (extra charge)
- Conditional access to a Braille printing press
- Conditional access to telescope / space orientation
C. Special inclusions.
The following special benefits are also included in the tariff.
- Twice Daily, at Hours of Gods – Sun Salutatioines Yoga (Surya Namaskara), Breathing Yoga (Pranayama), Om Chanting Yoga (Udgita), Specific Mantra Learning and Chanting, Sacred Alphabets
- Once a Day – Spiritual Hymns (Sankirtan), Spiritual Discourse (Pravachana), Spiritual Discussion (Satsang), Mentoring, Supporting Individual Participant Specific Project (s)
- Once in 3 Days – Divine Herbs-Medicine Counselling (Ayurveda)
- Once a Week, Participant Specific – Day Long Guided & Curated Field Visit, Half-day Long Guided & Curated Field Visit, Feedback Session
D. Up to 75% discount on Virtual Residencies
Details on the Virtual Residencies programmes are available in the area ‘Residencies’.
E. AZIMVTH Shop
Major discounts on artist and spiritual products and services at AZIMVTH Shop are included in the tariff.
Grants of USD 500 / person liberally available.
28 days USD 1450
14 days USD 900
07 days USD 500
RU Opportunities is moving to a new platform called Rivet
- Cultural Organizations can create their accounts on Rivet to post creative opportunities.
- Individuals can also create accounts on Rivet, search for opportunities, get notificatios, and add deadlines to a calendar.
- All current deadlines will remain active on RU Opportunities until they complete.
Check it out! https://rivet.es/
Calls we like:
RU’s 2018 Residency Raffle – Win one month residency in Serbia!
(Deadline: 1 Nov, 2018)
Call for Submissions – BigCi Environmental Awards 2018
(Deadline: 1 Jun, 2018)
lugar a dudas International Residency Program
Sugar Hill Children’s Museum Artist-in-Residence 2018-2019 | APPLY TODAY
(Deadline: 11 May, 2018)